- Written by Site Admin
- Hits: 616
- If you've done performance upgrades like engine and suspension mods, Upgrading the brakes ensues you can stop or control better.
- If you've added significant weight through mods, service equipment, etc..
- Bigger/more efficient brakes can handle heat better thereby reducing brake fade.
- Bigger rotors as well as better rotor design adds for longevity, cost savings, heat capacity and shedding, andbetter clamping force.
- Alcon Heavy Duty brakes are a bolt on upgrade. If you can change pads, you can upgrade your brakes.
Shortcomings Of The FORD Factory Brakes?
While stock Ford Truck brakes are fine for stock trucks, when used in performance applications with higher than "usual" speeds or weights, the factory brakes aren’t sufficient. When the brakes are used, heat builds up in the system reducing efficiency. This adds premature wear and stopping distance. Stock brakes are designed for typical drivers and not the upgraded HP, modded, enthusiastic, sporting drivers we see looking for something more out of their truck.
What Makes The ALcon Big Brake / Heavy duty Kits Better?
The Alcon Ford F550/F450 Heavy Duty brake kit offers better all around performance. Rotors are much higher quality, calipers are stiffer and stronger, and the braking surface is increased. Check out the stats:
Gains in performance over stock standard duty braking system:
– Up to 10% reduction in disc temperature rise
– Up to 25% reduction in front and rear pad work rates
– Up to 7% increase in available brake torque
– Up to 7% reduction in pedal effort
Ductile iron caliper housing providing maximum strength and stiffness as well as high resistance to impact and fatigue
Acid zinc finish for maximum corrosion protection
High friction pads increase stopping power
Large rotors increase brake torque and thermal capacity, allowing the vehicle to safely operate at armoured weights and reducing potential for brake fade
Increased pad area reduces temperatures and increases pad life at armoured vehicle weights
is the ALCON kit really a Bolt on Upgrade?
If you have ever changed the tires, brake pads, or rotors on your Raptor then this upgrade will not be difficult for you. If this is your first brake job, then it may take you a little longer to do the install. The best tactic is to change one side at a time, keeping the other side intact as a visual reference. Generally, the install should take only a few hours and basic mechanic tools.
Looking for something a little more custom? We can do custom powdercoating for you out of the box. We work with the most skilled coater in the brake industry and offer hundreds of colors. Special project? Let us know. We ship your kit directly to them where the calipers are disassembled and coated in your choice of colors and styles then shipped to you. This services takes about two weeks. Choose your own color here and simply let us know which you would like.
What Other Areas Should I Address When Performing This Install?
THis is a great time to flush your brake fluid. It should be a clear, golden color. Brake fluid traps moisture and dirt in the system and should be replaced every two to three years minimum. Have a local shop do it if your not comfortable with the procedure as it may the ABS pump to be cycled a few times to rid itself of any old fluid. Here are some brake bleeding tips for bleeding your brake kit.